The little yellow fruit, lemon, has been consumed since the age old times due to the amazing number of health benefits it offers. It is packed with the punch of nutritional power and juicing it up with the juice can give a massive boost to the body.
Homemade lemonade drinks, air freshener, deodorizer, and regular cooking makes massive use of lemon juice as the inexpensive fruit is loaded with Vitamin C and acts as the blood purifier. A lot many people also use it to lose extra fat from the body.
However, the over-consumption of lemon is extremely hazardous to health. Very few of us actually know that the safe fruit, lemon, which is being used to enhance the beauty and culinary purpose, has side effects too. Consuming lemon every day in the morning to brighten the skin and to flush out the toxins can lead to acidity. If you are stomach sensitive, avoid lemon as it has the low pH value.
In This Article
What Are The Dangers And Side Effects Of Drinking Too Much Lemon Juice?
The following are the noteworthy hazards of consuming or over-using of lemon juice, you should check them out carefully before you actually start consuming lemon juice.
- Not always lemon removes the skin imperfection or erases the acne marks and pimples. Since lemon is acidic in nature, it can aggravate the problem in those who have very sensitive skin. If you have dry and flaky skin, lemon juice will cause further dryness.
- If applied on the pimples, it may sting. The burning sensation will aggravate, leading to red marks and rashes. The one who has dark skin should never apply lemon on the skin to treat acne problem. It can cause dark spots.
- Lemon causes tooth erosion as it is acidic in nature. If you consume too much of acidic food and beverages, it will cause excess contact of acid with the teeth, leading to erosion.
- Can cause heartburn problem. If you are already experiencing the heartburn problem, it is sure to worsen the situation. Sometimes there can be severe burning and pain in the chest felt.
- It causes acidity owing to the lower pH and you can experience stomach upset. As the lemon is acidic in nature, it retains its acidity till further digested. It is true that increasing the stomach acidity can aid digestion but consuming too much might irritate the mucous membranes, leading to stomach ache, acid reflux, and heart burn.
- Lemon juice can shock and cause GERD and ulcers. GERD stands for gastroesophageal reflux disorder. The symptoms of this disorder are nausea, vomiting, and heartburn. The symptoms get further aggravated with the acidic, fatty and spicy food. Since the acid content irritates the esophageal lining, lemon juice will worsen the situation. If you have an ulcer, stop the use of lemon juice altogether since it will irritate your stomach lining and delay the healing process.
- Excessive production of urine and dehydration is another side effect of excessive lemon juice consumption. In rare cases, lemon juice has the diuretic effect. Having high content of ascorbic acid and Vitamin C, the acid is known for showing diuretic properties. It is true that lemon flushes out the body toxins but if you feel that it is leading to dehydration due to excess urination, cut back on the lemon consumption.
- The problem in the Gall Bladder and Kidney is the side effect of consuming excess of lemon juice. The peels of the limes and lemon are found in the small number of foods and perhaps contain the oxalates. The oxalate is the naturally occurring compound in the human body. When the level of oxalate increases, the body fluid will crystallize leading to health problems. If the problem of kidney and gall bladder is untreated, avoid the consumption of lemon juice.
Can The Lemon Juice Enhance Iron Absorption?
Yes, a number of surveys reveal that the excessive consumption of lemon juice can lead to improved iron absorption. This is because of the high content of ascorbic acid in the lemon.
Hence, when the iron gets deposited in the body, it leads to iron toxicity. And it may cause diarrhea and nausea. It even reduces the efficacy of the Chloroquine which is used to treat Malaria.
How Safe Is Lemon Juice For Pregnant Ladies?
Pregnant ladies must take extra precaution when consuming lemon juice. The juice or lemon water must be consumed in moderation only. Heart Burn is the common condition which an expecting mother has to suffer from. And if you gulp down the copious quantities of lemon, it will lead to severe heartburn.
It may also aggravate the situation of decalcification as the teeth and bones naturally get exposed to this situation. Hence, you may have a sore throat.
What Are The Other Side Effects Of Consuming Lemon Juice?
There are overweight people who look forward to reducing weight by consuming several glasses of lemon juice. In fact, consuming one glass daily will provide the body the needed nutrients. However, consuming too much of it may cause problems.
Headache, lethargy, stomach upset, lack of concentration are some of these side effects. In fact, the detox problem may leave you tired, weak and depressed.
How To Consume The Lemon Juice?
If you are looking to reap only the benefits of lemon juice, you need to take certain precautions.
- To protect the teeth enamel from erosion, it is crucial to drink the beverages and lemon juice with a straw.
- If you suffer from heartburn, cut back on the acidic food and consume lemon water in smaller quantities.
- Those who have ulcer must not consume lemon juice.
- In many people, the lemon juice causes an allergic So, try and avoid it.
- Lemon juice can make the GERD symptoms more prominent, so avoid consuming too much of it if you are suffering from such problem.
- Always keep in mind that the Vitamin C content of the lemon juice is greatly unstable. Those who have a sensitive stomach, they must consume the lemon juice mixed in half glass of water. Try and use it less in the food.
If you think that the beverage is not suiting you, stop consuming it. Take the proper advice of the doctor to treat any medical condition if required.
So, Just be sure that you consume the right quantity of lemon juice and enjoy its benefits to the maximum.People Searched for:
- lemon benefits and side effects
- lemon juice on face side effects
- side effects of lemon
- side effect of lemon
- drinking too much lemon juice side effects
- side effects of lemon juice
- More lemon juice drink may cause any effects
- lemon salt side effects
- side effects of the ph level of a lemon juice
- effects of the ph level of a lemon juice